gummi Chandelier ii in detail

gummi Chandelier ii in detail
Inside the gummi bear Chandelier Jr.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Solo Show install at Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Day 5

May 14, 2010

Last day in Fort Wayne. I still have little touch up I want to accomplish today.
Docent tour guide came in at 10am to hear the artist talk. They had shown much appreciation of me being here and interests in the works themselves. Answered lots of questions, had a good time.

Finished working on the sculpture labels. Signage lady came and put up the title. It is huge... talking about ego boosting.


This piece is titled "Fort Wayne." I shipped the vessel here empty and plan on looking for local inspiration to fill it. Original idea as of Tuesday was to take a photo of everyone working with me and create a miniature scene inside. But while walking along the river Wednesday evening, I found tons of these fallen Maple seedpods. They have wings and fly like badminton. First I thought they were worms:) So here they are, because southern Californians like us don't have these falling from our maple trees.


My favorite piece "What if I fall?" air dry porcelain clay in artist designed glass vessel. John Burchetta in NC hand blown these pieces according to my maquettes. This one is modeled after pitfall traps, a kind of carnivorous plant; around the holes engraved: "what if i fall?" "what if no one catches me?" "what if i fail?" "when will the parachute open?" Now you know what I was thinking of when I work on shows...haha


this piece is a keeper, rather decorative, titled "Black Noise." Black glue on container with red beads strand inside. Jesse and I both love it so much that this will be the Only piece of mine hung in our home. I very seldom hang my own works in my living/working space because I am moving forward all the time, finished works hinder me. 

 

5pm, finished some little vine silhouette design at the bottom of the wall to interact with sculpture shadow. Sarah is walking us out of the door while Joe is still finishing up the last few sculpture labels. We have become friends with these diligent workers and lovely people, will miss them sooo much when we leave.


The show looks great. Wish I can stay another week to play and attend the big opening of mine, Cara and Smithsonian's show. But there are two more deadline to meet, got to get back to studio. Jesse has to go back to work, too.
 

Joe caught up on us, perfect opportunity to take a picture. Sun broke out to warm us up! Our smiles only tell half the quality of good time I had working with these nice, awesome people~
Can't wait to go back in August when we deinstall the show.



Special thanks to Durfee Foundation for granting me ARC grant so I can fly to Fort Wayne, stay a week, install the show and best of all, work with cool people. And more thanks to Sarah Aubrey (curator at FWMoA) and Charles A. Shepard III (executive director of FWMoA), who believe in me and gave me a show. A catalougue will be published soon for this exhibition, stay on the mailing list so I can tell you about it!

No comments: