gummi Chandelier ii in detail

gummi Chandelier ii in detail
Inside the gummi bear Chandelier Jr.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Transcending materials

I was admiring the artists on Walter Maciel Gallery's website. Suddenly I broke through the eggshell which has been encasing my brain for years, realized that I have been a slave of materials.
It may seem like I see what other don't see when it comes to working with daily materials. The truth is that I've been on a leash lead by these mundane products. They dictate what I will make and cage me in the name of "sculpture." That is tragical, no wonder many artists no longer associate themselves with the title of sculptors or painters.

I thought I have seen the unseen, but actually I have only seen what was taught to me to see. To truly be free, I must transcend the function, history and nature of the material. If I were able to transcend the form of the material, I'd be marvelously successful.

Materials are simply tools, like a computer, one must not build lives, believes or conceptions on them. I am enlightened. Thank you, fellow artists!

No comments: